Embroidery Hoop Wreath — Budget Wise Home

Embroidery Hoop Wreath

Image via Budget Wise HomeBudget Tip of the Day: Clothespin Wreath

This vintage clothespin wreath is my favorite embroidery hoop project that I’ve done so far.  It is super easy to make, cheap, and very unique.  Just one trip to the craft store is all it takes to put this together.  The natural wood tone makes it a perfect wreath to adorn your door this fall.

• Here is what you’ll need:
  • Embroidery Hoop (inner ring only)
  • Vintage Clothespins or Doll Pins
  • Cardboard
  • Glue Gun

I used an 8 inch hoop and needed about 43 clothespins to cover the entire circle.  This will help give you an idea of how many clothespins to buy at the craft store.  A 20 pack at Roberts was $2.99.  The embroidery hoop was a 50 cent thrift store find.

Start by tracing the outside of the hoop on a piece of cardboard.

Then draw another circle about a half inch wider around your traced circle.

Cut the circle out.

Slide the cardboard circle over the outside of the hoop.  It should be very snug.

Now it’s time to glue on the clothespins.  Place some glue on the inside slot as well as the bottom of the clothespin where it will come in contact with the hoop.  Press into place and continue all the way around.

Here it is almost half way done.  When you get near the end with about 5-6 more pins to glue on, stop and figure out how many more will actually fit.  I had to space the last 5 out just a bit to make it look even.

Here she is all glued together.

I decided to keep the wood look (shocking, I know!) instead of using spray paint.  You can paint it whatever color you like, but I chose to keep it simple with a natural wood stain.  I applied one coat using a brush and let it dry overnight.  If you want a glossier finish, just spray on some high gloss enamel once the stain is completely dry.  That’s it!

I can’t decide whether to hang this on the inside (red door) or outside (black door), so I took a few pictures of it on both.

So what do you think?  Red door or black door?

Come back tomorrow for one last  embroidery hoop decor idea.

Comments

1. Erin says:

How simple and pretty!!! I love it!

2. Rachel Henry says:

I LOOOOVE this idea! Looks so cool. I like the wreath on the black side. :)

3. Jennifer says:

Love it on the black door. Looking forward to the baby reveal!

4. Rachel says:

Darling idea! I like it on the black door.

And hip, hip, hooray! Looks like you’re off having your baby. That’s so exciting! Congrats!

5. Julia says:

I am so impressed with all your clever ideas here. I like all the different ways you used those embroidery hoops. I would also like to extend an invention to you to be a featured guest blogger at http://www.everydaymomideas.com. If you interested just let me know and Ill get you scheduled and send you more information. I hope you consider this. Its a great way to promote your site and we would love to have you.

6. Laura Beth says:

So simple and beautiful!

7. I just love this! It is going in my future projects file! Would you mind if I put a link to it on my Facebook page?

8. Kimberlee says:

I love this project. Has a nice ‘heavy’ wood feel without being too heavy (LOL).
    ~Kimberlee

9. Kristi says:

Just stopping back by to let you know that I linked to this wonderful wreath!

10. brandi says:

This is such a great idea. I love it!!!! I will def. have to try this.

11. Kat says:

Love it! I also like it on the red door, but I love red doors.

12. Ann says:

Simple, elegant, creative, cheap, lovely and classic. Kudos for this most wonderful project, it really is simply stylish. The clean lines and especially the muted wood tones of your finished wreath are stunning. You are a clever clever woman!

13. Heather says:

What a great idea, it looks wonderful! I really like the simplicity of it. While it really pops against the black, I’d opt for red. I’d worry that the cardboard might get damp being outside and I’d hate to see all your hard work get messed up. However if you had a covered porch then I think you’d be ok and I’d hang it outside. I just posted a wreath on my blog that I made as well, would love it if you’d stop by and give me your opinion!

14. Finding Home says:

Really great project!

15. Oh, this is so adorable! I just might have to borrow this idea for a springtime wreath. Very very sweet – you are amazingly creative!

16. Beth@A2Z says:

This is brilliant! Nester tumbled this post so I came over from Twitter to see it for myself. You should link this post up to: http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/12/iron-crafter-round-7-secret-ingredient.html It’s perfect!

17. Suesan says:

You should go link this up at the Iron Crafter challenge at Fireflies & Jello’s blog. The secret ingredient is clothespins. http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/search/label/Iron%20Crafter

18. Beth@A2Z says:

Glad to see you linked up because I LOVE this!

19. Natalie Tschacher says:

Great idea and so simple. You could even change the ribbon color for each season or holiday or add a giant bow (big red one for Valentine’s Day!) We have a red exterior painted house with black accents inside so I like the wreath on either door!

20. Jessica says:

This is such a cute idea. I’m thinking ‘laundry room decor’ here I come…

Your newest follower, Jessica

21. Love this idea! I am totally going to make one TODAY and of course I will be linking back to your fabulous blog to give you proper credit! Thanks for sharing this awesomely cutie idea!

22. Black door!