Yep, I’m finally ready to reveal all the crazy things I’ve been up to this past month. I know you guys have been waiting to see my office and I can’t wait to show you–better late than never right?! That’s coming up tomorrow. Today I’m showing you my new magnetic art wall. This wall started out with cookie sheets. It was fun for a bit, but it just wasn’t working for me. I never had enough space to put stuff and it looked a mess all the time. So I switched gears and turned it into a full magnetic wall.
Here is the play by play of how this came to be.
I started out painting the whole wall with 4 coats of magnetic primer.
This stuff only comes in the quart size which was enough for 2 full coats on the entire wall. I wanted to make sure it was magnetic enough so I bought another one and did 4 coats total. I HIGHLY recommend doing 4 coats. The box says 2 coats are enough, but my magnets were barely staying on. You also need to mix the paint frequently while you apply so that the iron particles don’t settle at the bottom. Have the paint store mix it for you when you buy it and then mix it up yourself before you start.
A HUGE word of caution!!!! This is SUPER messy!! I cannot stress this enough. No matter how careful or how slowly you roll it on, it will splatter back at you! And this stuff takes major scraping to get it off your skin. Make sure you cover your floor and baseboards. After getting covered on the first coat, I wore gloves, a long sleeve jacket, pants, socks, shoes, and a mask. Then I put rubber bands around my wrists to keep my sleeves from sliding up my arms. After all that, I still managed to get paint on me, but not nearly as bad as the first time.
OK, now that I’ve warned you we can move along. I thought a plain surface would be too boring, so I decided to paint 10 inch horizontal stripes to add a little interest.
I used a level to draw my stripes with a pencil and than went to town with the painters tape. I have done stripes before in my son’s nursery, and I knew it was nearly impossible to get perfectly clean stripes without the paint bleeding through. So I tried an experiment. Have you guys heard of Frog Tape?
It’s supposed to be better than regular blue painters tape for giving you perfect stripes. I wasn’t so sure. So this is what I tried. I taped off the stripes with the blue tape and did one with the Frog Tape.
The I sealed the edges of the blue tape with a clear glaze. This was a sample size that the paint sales person recommended. It is white but dries clear. Putting this on first is supposed to give you a clean line. So what was the result?
I was SO disappointed with the Frog Tape. I did not get a perfectly clean line. Using the clear glaze with the blue painters tape worked better, but still not perfect. There were several spots that bled through.
After the gray stripes were dry (2 coats), I applied new tape to paint the white stripes. This time I used Frog Tape WITH the clear glaze and what did I get?
PERFECT STRIPES!! Look at that clean line. Absolutely no bleeding through.
And here is the finished product!
I’m so happy with the result. All my magnets stick very well and now my counters are clutter free. I’ve been using the wall as a place to put my son’s homework and artwork. It’s nice because my boys can access their stuff by themselves. The challenge will be to keep it looking semi-organized. I don’t want this to become a clutter wall so we’ll display only the most important pieces.
The whole thing took me about a week to complete. I had to work like crazy during nap time. It was very easy, but very messy–so be prepared. Each quart of the primer was $21.00–I know, pretty expensive. So my total cost was $42.00. It’s more than I wanted to spend, but it’s so functional and we’ll always be able to use it.
Come back tomorrow for my office reveal!
I’m linking this project up to some of these parties.